Family affairs

    No one knows who I am - not in the Golden City, the city of my Brother. Well, perhaps they know I exist, but certainly not as her daughter. If anyone ever recognized me in, it's because they've seen me with my 'mother', the Red Queen, who 'adopted' me when her pet couldn't make her happy. I've known since I looked in that mirror and saw the tumbling black curls and deep brown eyes. The Evil Queen-if she has a name, no one dares say it-is mother.
I'm a child to her, of 'nothing but fourteen Golden Summers'. My spirit is as strong as hers, powerful as my hatred and as deep as the Dark Curse* itself. He knows this; at least he is not a fool there. He will know where to go, whom to fight but in the end he remains the Prince Paladin. I am sure there is no problem brother can’t defeat, crush as easily as a fly. Maybe then the Evil Queen will see her foolishness-in that heart of hers. Oh, how I hate it.


_____________________________________________________________________________________________




    It takes only one knock. My knuckles meeting it once makes the strong, deep echo throughout the entire castle, as if I have caused a great waterfall to tumble a thousand stronger. The guards I have always seen around her come to the door. "You were not called upon." One of the senior guards, says, like I am a meager beggar or the village fool.
"She knows who I am." "She does not want to see you. Go." He starts to shut the door, but it takes one step for me to be inside, pulling my cape behind me. "I said go!" He draws closer to me and I can see my reflection upon his armour, it is polished and shines as a mirror.
I release a smile and it causes him to falter. "Who are you?" He asks, as if he has not seen me come and go with the Prince Paladin, for the past few days. "A friend. Admit me to her." "She does not wish for company." My eyes go as cold as hers. "Take me to her." The palace guard stammers, "Of-of course."



    Her back is to us; she is seated at a desk, having paused in her writing. The voice echoed through the large room, filled with annoyance. "My queen." I say, before a response can come from his lips. It has only the slightest hint, enough for her to turn and face me. "I do not wish to see you." She keeps looking at me, her eyes threatening to glare into my soul, down to my heart, her voice echoes once again in my head. I was excited and at the same time concerned by the fact that I was a “guest” in the Golden palace until her sister returns safely from the Imperial City of Anuire, she was more exciting than I expected, and to be honest she was more interesting at the same time than her brother. She was my only friend these last two days. She suddenly seems to be smiling under her long robe that seems to be covering every corner of her body, I could tell from the frowning of her brows. "Let’s take a walk in the gardens”, her voice seems to echo in my head. I let out a smile while my face expression turns to a less serious one, one that young people take, people not verged in the harsh lessons of life. 




*The bloodline of Azrai is mostly referred at as the Dark Curse, due to the fact that it twists the mind and body of men and women.

Comments